Thursday, February 4, 2010

The flower that made me cry

I'm reading "Le Petit Prince" (The Little Prince) for my French class. As I was leaving class today my teacher said "you guys are gonna get to learn about these wonderful baobab trees in the story!" Immediately a light bulb went on in my head and I had to stay and talk to her because it just so happens that I'm currently working on a painting of a baobab flower (they're on the trees) and have been for some time. She asked me how I knew about them (because not many people do, I think) and I told her I saw them on Planet Earth and the beauty that the flower held amazed me. It was just funny that she mentioned baobab trees and that they're in The Little Prince.

Baobab trees are in Madagascar and they're one of the most unique and peculiar trees I've ever seen.
They don't all look the same:
But one of the most captivating things about them is their flowers, as you'll see in this video. One night I was watching Planet Earth and I watched this flower open up and it made me emotional because 1. well, I'm just an emotional person, and 2. because I couldn't help but be in awe of something so delicate and enchanting that God created. You guys are probably going to watch and be like pffttt but...I don't know. I find it to be quite beautiful. And if anyone has seen the movie Madagascar and fell in love with the "so ugly they're cute" lemurs, watch this!
you'll have to turn your volume up a lot. I also advice clicking the button all the way on the right of the video to watch it in full screen. no copyright infringement intended.

4 comments:

  1. oh wow. i was not expecting the flower to bloom like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those trees are really cool. I've never heard of them either. Well, you learn something new everyday! That tree with the wide trunk is way funky.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Je ne peut pas attendre que tu finis mon livre francais favorit! Donc nous pouvons en parler beaucoup! J'adore ces arbres, ils sont mes favorits.

    ReplyDelete
  4. joni i can't find any spelling mistakes ahaha

    ReplyDelete